Nowadays everybody have become conscious about the disposable plastic bags of books in my case of shopping behavior, why they are harmful and what has been done in areas around the world to get rid of them.
Now it is time to take a look at what can be done individually to reduce the impact they are having on the environment.
We already know that it is important to stop using them and use re-usable bags instead, but what about the ones we already have kicking around the house.
Many people save disposable shopping bags and just don’t know what to do with them.
Here are some things you can do to re-use plastic shopping bags:
- Plastic books shopping bags are great for carrying lunches to work and school. They can be used for this purpose many times. They are also great for taking gym clothes to the gym and carrying wet bathing suits home from the beach or the pool.
- Use book plastic shopping bags to line garbage containers or litter boxes to reduce the mess and make it easier to clean.
- You can give your lightly used plastic bags to your local food drive or thrift stores. They will be happy to use these bags for food or clothing for needy families.
- Crumple up plastic bags for quick and easy packing material. Just make sure that it is well packed in there.
- When going on vacation or moving wrap up anything that could potentially spill or leak in plastic shopping bags. It is an extra protection for creams and gels to stop them getting all over everything if they accidentally open. This probably won’t be very effective for runny liquids, but it may help.
- Take a couple with you while walking your dog. Many cities require you to pick up after pets and these bags are great for the job.
- Use to cover casts or bandages while taking a shower or bath. You still won’t be able to submerse the area in water, but it will protect from splashes of water.
- Re-use old bread bags for baked goods. They are great for storing cookies, muffins or pretty much anything else you decide to make.
- Shopping bags are great for wrapping up paint brushes if you need to take a break from painting. They will keep your paint brushes clean and stop them from drying out for a couple of hours at least.
- Take your used plastic bags back to the store to use again if they don’t have any holes. Stores will be happy not to have to give you another one since they have to pay for these bags and give them away for free.
- Many stores have bag recycling programs. Take them back to the book store even if they have holes and rips in them. They will be used for a multitude of things. They are used to create picnic tables, plastic deck furniture and even plastic siding for houses. A growing number of companies are coming up with innovative ways to re-use these bags and create something new.
- If you are crafty you can cut the bags into strips and knit or crochet them into something new. You can make them into place mats or a funky new rug for in front of your sink or your doorstep. Since they are plastic they will be easy to clean and very original. It uses up a lot of plastic bags to make a small rug.
- Fuse plastic bags together to make thick sheets of plastic that you can use in your craft projects like this guy did:
There are so many ways to reuse and recycle plastic shopping bags. Take a minute to think about all the things you can do with them before you throw them away. If you have children make a project of it.
Use them for crafts and ask them to come up with a list of 10 ways that you can reuse plastic bags.
Children often come up with great ideas that we as adults would never dream of. You can also come up with your own list of things you can do to reuse these bags and if you can’t think of anything or you still have a lot left over take them back to the store or give them to one of the many companies which use them for making new things.